A narrative essay will tell a story and can be a lot of fun to write. It Is a type of writing that you can be very creative with as you write . There are not a lot of rules to this style of composition. You are going to be able to write in first person and you can use slang in your paper. There are five basic ingredients to a great narrative essay. You will want your narrative essay to have dialogue, great descriptions, excellent verbs, an exciting plotline, and and well-rounded characters.
5 Basic Ingredients
- Dialogue – As you tell your story, if you have your characters speak, or have dialogue, then your story will become more convincing. You may have to practice writing dialogue at first to make sure that your dialogue sounds realistic, but with time you will be able to master it.
- Great descriptions – You want your words to paint a picture. Make sure that your descriptions of your setting, your characters, and all the other pieces of your paper are exciting and vivid. If your descriptions are boring to you the odds are very great that they will be boring to your audience.
- Excellent verbs – The most important part of speech in any writing is the verb. The verb carries a lot of weight and can make or break a story. Make sure that you do not have a lot of being verbs, but instead that you have a lot of action verbs. Also make sure that your vocabulary when you select your verbs is above average, yet still understandable to your audience.
- An Exciting Plotline – Before you sit down to write your paper, make a story plot line. You want to know where you want your story to end up before you begin to write it. You do not want you riding to ramble about and not make much sense. So make sure that your story has a very exciting plotline which can guide your reader through the excitement in your essay.
- Well-Rounded Characters – When you sit down to write your essay make sure that you thoroughly describe each of your characters. Your characters should have depth and they should be multi-dimensional. If you just skim the descriptions of your characters, then your readers will not get to know the people that are in your story. Always make sure that any characters you include are very well-rounded and not flat characters.